Take one happily disturbed librarian, add in a few voices, a connection to the internet, and you get . . . . . . . . . well a little more insanity.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

A moment of shame, a lifetime of memories

There is a thing that is only talked of in whispers... only a few know of its existence, and fewer still have actually seen it.

What I am talking about is a strange ritual that happens every year. It is called the "Duck Race." This year I actually attended.

I kid you not.

You see I am this years co-chair for the United Way fundraising campaign in my library system. This event kicks off each year with, you got it, a duck race. However it is not just any ducks, but rubber ducks. Decorated rubber ducks. Decorated rubber ducks maneuvered by swimmers in costumes.

The rules are simple, all ducks must be on the same type of floatation board, all must be decorated, and each duck must have a swimmer to race it. The swimmer cannot touch the duck, or the board, but must create waves to propel the duck along.

Okay. I had heard of this before. I never thought I would go, but this year... since I am involved with the campaign, I was one of the lucky people to go.

Let me tell you, it really is as lame as it sounds. Oddly enough, however, it is a huge amount of fun! Lots of weird people (who am I to throw stones, right?) were there, cheering each other on. The ducks were very imaginatively done up, with themes such as "Ducky Potter," or "Ducky Balboa" and the swimmers... well they actually were in costume too. One swimmer went into the pool wearing the upper half of a tux. Another wore a tiara. The police department had a very interesting duck. It was painted pink. Neon Pink. Not only that, but the board it was on was also pink. With pink feathers. And glitter. Did I forget to mention the glitter???? The swimmer for this delight looked like the typical male cop. Until he did his Vanna White impersonation before diving into the pool with his duck.

Since then I have found out that there are many "duck races" all over the country. If you get a chance, please check this out. Not only is it a hoot to watch, but the money actually goes towards a good cause. And if you know one of the swimmers who might be competing.. well photographs can come in handy later on down the line. I'm jus' sayin'!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello dear friend,
I am not sure which is better, the fact that you were suckered into attendance, or the fact that you actually had a great time. lord, you need your bff back! I must say that I too would have enjoyed laughing at those swimmers... I miss you dearly, and long to return to my home away from home.......although I too have had to deal with children of satan....(they are everywhere!)I hope to see you soon! The one and only asian eddy has visited you!

Amberthyme said...

Who was the swimmer? I helped fix up Harry Quacker and I was told about the race but nobody said anything about a swimmer. Hmmm.

The Berserker Librarian said...

Hi all...

First, Asian Eddy! HEY YOU!!!! Hope all is going well... and we all miss you! How are the children of Satan doing, anyway? JV came in the other day, btw, and asked where you were. We just said you were not there that day.

QoD, thanks for the offer :) I might take you up on it :)

Amberthyme, the swimmer was a brother-in-law of one of the office people.

Anonymous said...

whew! I was lucky enough to be cursed with a vist from JV on the Sat. that I worked. (by the way thanks for the cards that were hidden in my purse! I let out a loud chuckle in class and then I had to try and explain our humor...didn't go over well but hey it is not all about them!)
anywho...all he asked me was how my classes were going and tried to correct me on my use of certain lingo.....ughhh but that was the extent of our conversation. Thank goodness... The children of satan have been improving by leaps and bounds. I no longer come home crying everyday. That is an added bonus! Although I am crying because I miss you too! I cannot wait until I can come back! I hope that you have a great time in Disneyland! :) your bff!

The Berserker Librarian said...

BFF,

Well the whole JV thing is... well just weird.

Glad things are going well for you... and hurry back soon! LOTS of stories about people for you!

Anonymous said...

BFF,
Trust me I am trying to hurry back! What the heck have you been putting on hold for me? I keep getting notices for things that remind me of you.

The Berserker Librarian said...

Hey! I only put two items on hold for you.. something about dangerous schools or children.. you know the whole cult thing, where teachers brainwash their students into being their worshipping slaves. Thought it would be interesting reading.

Anonymous said...

well, that I knew was you for sure, because let's face it brainwashing is cool...but bowling for columbine dvd? was that you? what are you trying to make me paranoid? oh goodness, bff, I miss you! lots of stories for you as well....am I going to be graced with your presence on Sat.? if so then I will come early........